The National Planetarium (Planetarium Negara KL) is dedicated to all things related to science and astronomy. It’s a fun and educational place for kids to learn about the planet and universe. Set on a hill to the east of Lake Gardens, it is topped by a blue dome easily visible from nearby roads.
It may not be as high tech as the planetariums of New York or London standards, but it still merits a visit. The main entrance is evocative of a teleport chamber which leads into a series of halls containing two planetariums that have interactive exhibits (touch-screen interactive computers and hands-on experiments) plus a Space Theatre.
- Half-Day City Highlights Tour
- Best City Highlights Half-Day Tour
- City Tour After Dark with Dinner
- Private Traditional Cooking Lesson
- Private Half-Day City Heritage Tour with Lunch
- Heritage Buildings & Icon of City Tour
- Private Night Heritage Trails
- Guided Perdana Botanical Gardens Tour
- Evening Street Food Walking Shared Tour
- Private City Street Eats Evening Tour of Chinatown
Cool Interactive Exhibits
If you are feeling adventurous give the Space Ball at National Planetarium a go: it is a human-sized gyroscopic device that spins volunteers around. However only try it if you have a cast-iron stomach. There is also an eerie UV-lit lift labelled the Galeri Pemandangan (Observation Gallery) that takes you up a minaret-like tower to the Viewing Gallery. You are provided with binoculars here and from this advantageous position you get the best views of the Lake Gardens and the rest of downtown.
The Space Theatre shows short, wide-screen IMAX international science and space films and generic documentaries at regular intervals throughout the day: it even shows clips from famous movies like Star Wars. However, hands down, the best place in the National Planetarium is the Observatory Park with models of Chinese and Indian astronomy systems and you can see distant planets through a telescope.
National Planetarium Kuala Lumpur
- Opening Hours: Tuesday – Sunday 09:00 – 16:30
- Location: 53, Jalan Perdana, Kuala Lumpur
- Address: +603 2273 4303