Restoran Kim Lian Kee in Kuala Lumpur
Chinatown Restaurants & Dining
Restoran Kim Lian Kee bills itself as the birth place of hokien mee in KL. Set at the junction in the centre of Petaling Street (beside Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf), it is a corner lot restaurant that is over 100 years old. Locals say it is one of the best (if not the best) hokkien mee joints in the city.
Although Restoran Kim Lian Kee’s menu is fairly extensive and includes typical tai chow (dishes) to be eaten with rice, it is the fat yellow hokkien mee noodles stir-fried and doused in delicious and thick soy sauce gravy that draws in the crowd.
A hole-in-the-wall restaurant, there are two stalls that make the noodles: the first one is the original one and is across the street from the current coffee shop. It started out as a small hawker stall business run by the Lee family, until the owners expanded to include the current restaurant. Locals will say that the original stall, where they use charcoal fire to make the noodles, serves up a better version of the noodles. At the main restaurant they use a gas stove and a charcoal fire so be sure to request for the latter when ordering.
A hearty meal that is a staple for most local Chinese families, the hokkien mee is presented on a banana leaf-lined plate and is ultra popular largely because of the oodles of prawns, pork, squid and generous helpings of lard fritters. The mee is thoroughly enjoyable on its own but for locals the canister of sambal belacan on each table is one of Restoran Kim Lian Kee’s primary attractions.
Besides the range of hokkien mee, fried hor fun, wat tan hoh and tai lok mee, the restaurant also sells economy rice, fried kway teow and luk ken thang (hokkien-style pork slices in corn flour cooked in cabbage soup).
Restoran Kim Lian Kee
- Opening Hours: Daily, 07:00 – 16:00 (chee cheong fun), 17:00 – 05:00 (Hokkien fried noodles). Closed on Wednesdays.
- Location: at the corner where Petaling Street meets Jalan Hang Lekir – usually opposite a Longan drink stall – you can’t miss its big red signboard saying ‘Restoran Kim Lean Kee’
- Address: 49-51, Jalan Petaling, 55100 Kuala Lumpur
- Tel: +603 2032 4984
- Cuisine: Chee cheong fun, Hokkien fried noodles
- KL Hop On Hop Off Ticket (24 Hours)
- Half Day Batu Caves Experience
- Half Day Kuala Lumpur City Tour
- Kuala Lumpur Full Day Tour
- Kuala Gandah Elephant Sanctuary
- Kuala Selangor Fireflies Tour
- Genting Highlands Experience - With Indoor Theme Park Ticket
- Full Day Malacca Excursion
- KL Tower Night Tour
- Cultural Night Tour with Show and Dinner