Kuala Lumpur Chinatown Shopping
Shopping in Kuala Lumpur Chinatown
Shopping in Kuala Lumpur Chinatown is a must when visiting this big, bustling city. Spread across several streets including Jalan Petaling, Jalan Tun Tan Cheng Lock and Jalan Hang Kasturi, Chinatown’s shopping bargains are deals of a lifetime, especially at the Petaling Street Night Market. What’s more, shopping in Chinatown is not just about buying modern items; a lot of locals visiting the herbal shops are here to purchase traditional medicine.
Without a doubt, Jalan Petaling, or Petaling Street as locals call it, is the most popular. Housed under a green glass roof, which allows the daily market to operate all day, it is crammed with market stalls selling reproduction designer handbags, shoes, apparel and more. Central Market KL is not too far away either and remains a favourite Kuala Lumpur Chinatown shopping spot for its one-of-a-kind local artwork and souvenirs.
- Half-Day City Highlights Tour
- Best City Highlights Half-Day Tour
- City Tour After Dark with Dinner
- Private Traditional Cooking Lesson
- Private Half-Day City Heritage Tour with Lunch
- Heritage Buildings & Icon of City Tour
- Private Night Heritage Trails
- Guided Perdana Botanical Gardens Tour
- Evening Street Food Walking Shared Tour
- Private City Street Eats Evening Tour of Chinatown
More Shopping in Chinatown
Central Market is one of KL’s most familiar landmarks and a popular tourist attraction. Built in 1928, it is a short walk away from Petaling Street, along Jalan Hang Kasturi. Also called Pasar Seni, it used to be a simple wet market but in the early 1980s was revamped into a handicrafts outlet. The focus for the city’s artistic community, inside the building is a warren of boutiques, handicraft and souvenir stalls with traders selling local merchandise such as authentic Malaysian batik prints and more. Central Market is located on the opposite bank of the Dayabumi Complex and is an art-deco style building with local ‘Baroque’ trimmings. Read More...
- Opening Hours: Daily, 10:00 – 22:00
- Location: Just around the corner from Kota Raya Shopping Centre
- Address: No. 10, 1st-3rd floor, Jalan Hang Kasturi
- Tel: +603 2031 0399 or +603 2031 5399 or +603 2031 7399
Kasturi Walk is a covered, open-air flea market set along Jalan Kasturi, a lane running alongside Central Market. Here, you’ll find local snacks and vendors selling fake label handbags, watches, T-shirts, flip flops and more as well as fruit stalls. It is similar to Petaling Street but not as crowded. Right over the front entrance of the tiled walkway is a pewter wau bulan (a type of Malay kite) which looks like a butterfly. Although Kasturi Walk does not have the same extensive range of traders as Petaling Street the goods are reasonably priced plus its convenient location makes a trip here worthwhile. It was established in early 2011, so Read More...
- Highlights: local snacks and vendors selling fake label handbags, watches, T-shirts, flip flops and more as well as fruit stalls. Read more: Kuala Lumpur Chinatown Shopping - Where to Shop and What to Buy in Chinatown http://www.kuala-lumpur.ws/klareas/chinatown_shopping.htm#ixzz1n5wHrQgM
- Opening Hours: 10:00 – 21:30
- Location: Kasturi
Kota Raya Shopping Complex
Around the corner from Central Market, just opposite Petaling Street, is the Kota Raya shopping complex. It is perhaps one of the oldest shoppng centres in the city, and although its popularity has been lost to trendier, more contemporary counterparts, it is still visited by those in search of budget buys and bargain items. Having recently gone through a renovation and refurbishment exercise, Kota Raya’s old, run-down exterior has now been replaced by a brightly-coloured one, which can be seen clearly from Petaling Street’s main entrance across the street.
- Highlights: Budget clothing and accessories, beauty saloons, hairdressers, games, electronics.
- Opening Hours: Daily, 10:00 – 22:00
- Location: At the junction of Jalan Silang and Jalan Tun Tan Cheng Lock
Marked by a huge, green awning sheltering shoppers from rain and daytime heat, Petaling Street is a well-known shopping district in Kuala Lumpur, most popular for budget buys. At night, the whole area transforms into a lively and vibrant night market. The street is practically stocked to the brim with shops and stalls along it offering all kinds of goods at dirt-cheap prices, from fake branded fashion items to delicious hawker food. The best thing is, the prices can be brought lower still as haggling is the way of life here. Read More...
- Opening Hours: Daily, 09:00 – 12:00 & 18:00 - Late
- Location: Along Petaling Street and the intersecting road, Jalan Hang Lekir
- Tel: (603) 2693 6661
Peter Hoe Beyond is a store along Jalan Tun HS Lee with a lovely collection of homeware, clothes and souvenirs. The 8,600sqft warehouse-sized shop is divided into three colourful sections: a retail store, boutique and café. Fusing Asian and modern style, some of the best things to buy here include colourful, woven rattan baskets and place mats in bold colours and designs as well as flowery shirts, batik print pareos and scarves. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 10:00 – 19:00
- Address: No. 145, Jalan Tun HS Lee, Kuala Lumpur
- Tel: +603 2026 9788
Aside from Petaling Street market and shopping malls, there are plenty of independent shops dotted all over Chinatown. There are quite a number of wholesalers here, particularly along Jalan Sultan and Jalan Hang Jebat, selling crystals, women’s accessories and even hair-perming tools. Bookstores can also be found here, specialising in Chinese reading materials, namely Shanghai Bookstore, Sin Ya Book Agency and Popular Bookstore, which also sells books in Malay and English. Sun Ya Book Agency also sells an interesting collection of Buddhist relics in all sizes, which can make for excellent souvenirs to take home.
Other noteworthy shops include Borneo Pearls in the Swiss-Inn Hotel, Weaver House Arts & Crafts and Kong Wooi Fong Tea Merchants. Borneo Pearls sells genuine cultured pearl jewellery and fashion accessories, while Weaver House Arts & Crafts is a superb gift shop selling handmade gift items and quality handicrafts at extremely affordable prices. Kong Wooi Fong Tea Merchants is a tea specialty shop selling fine tea leaves and tea-making paraphernalia. Customers can also sample the teas first to help them decide which one to purchase at the fully-furnished tea-tasting area at the back of the shop.