Hakka Republic have closed for business.
Just a short walk away from the Pacific Regency Hotel, Hakka Republic is a cocktail lounge set on the second floor of Menara Hap Seng along Jalan P Ramlee. Its interior design is inspired by the glitz and glamour of the 1950s (we especially like the private rooms), with lots of spots that are perfect for quiet conversation with a date while you listen to the silky sounds of a live jazz band that plays from Thursday to Sunday nights.
The overall experience at Hakka Republic is warm, sultry and inviting – staff members are friendly, efficient and will go the extra mile to keep you happy. The restaurant’s layout is spacious to say the least, with the theatrical-looking bar taking up centre stage and dividing the bar and restaurant areas.
- Half-Day City Highlights Tour
- Best City Highlights Half-Day Tour
- City Tour After Dark with Dinner
- Private Traditional Cooking Lesson
- Private Half-Day City Heritage Tour with Lunch
- Heritage Buildings & Icon of City Tour
- Private Night Heritage Trails
- Guided Perdana Botanical Gardens Tour
- Evening Street Food Walking Shared Tour
- Private City Street Eats Evening Tour of Chinatown
Hakka has subtle Oriental touches – there is a large Mao-inspired portrait and Chinese calligraphy scrolls above the bar plus antique-looking heavy wooden chairs and Vietnamese silk lamp shades. Other than that, the bar’s interior design stays fairly modern and trendy with neon lights and floor-to-ceiling windows offering views of the busy KL streets on one side and a pretty rooftop garden on the other.
We recommend Hakka Republic’s western food menu. Standouts include the bite-sized lamb cutlets of flavourful, melt-in-your-mouth meat, crunchy and tangy shrimp and asparagus rolls and the spicy-tasting miniature beef and Guinness puffs. These gourmet snacks pair particularly well with the bar’s drinks.
The real highlight at Hakka Republic is its drinks: with the bar’s shelves of liquor seeming to reach the ceiling, the selections of drinks available seem almost beyond belief. There are 12 choices of wines by the glass available and an even more extensive selection from Australia, France, Italy, Spain and South Africa sold by the bottle. However, on our visit it is the cocktails that entice us, with choices that range from the simple and classic to the creative – we are especially fond of the sweet and tart-tasting Mojito and blood orange Bellini, a mix of sparkling blood orange juice, cranberry juice and white wine.
- Opening Hours: 12:00 – 15:00 & 17:00 – 01:00 weekdays; 17:00 – 01:00 Saturday; 11:30 – 15:30 & 17:00 – 01:00 Sunday
- Location: Menara Hap Seng
- Address: Lot 2.05, Level 2, Menara Hap Seng, Jalan P Ramlee, Kuala Lumpur
- Tel: +603 2078 9908