Masjid Jamek Mosque
Kuala Lumpur Attractions0
Masjid Jamek Mosque, also known as Friday Mosque, is recognised as the oldest Islamic place of worship in Kuala Lumpur. Overlooking the Klang River, it offers breathtaking photo opportunities for travellers due to the combination of ancient Moorish, Islam and Mughal architectural styles, verdant surroundings, and distant views of KL’s other iconic landmarks.
Built in 1907 by British architect Arthur Benison Hubback, Masjid Jamek Mosque served as the main centre of worship for the local Muslim community until the Masjid Negara (National Mosque) was officially opened to the public in 1965. Surrounding the main prayer hall are three domes, the tallest of which measures at 20 metres, flanked by two brick minarets that stand over 25 metres tall.Read More
- Half-Day City Highlights Tour
- Best City Highlights Half-Day Tour
- City Tour After Dark with Dinner
- Private Traditional Cooking Lesson
- Private Half-Day City Heritage Tour with Lunch
- Heritage Buildings & Icon of City Tour
- Private Night Heritage Trails
- Guided Perdana Botanical Gardens Tour
- Evening Street Food Walking Shared Tour
- Private City Street Eats Evening Tour of Chinatown
A must-visit for those looking to know more about Islam, there’s also an Islamic Experience Centre just outside the mosque, which houses a number of informative displays in English. Meanwhile, notable attractions such as Central Market, Chinatown KL, and Petaling Street are easily accessible on foot from the mosque.
Located along Jalan Tun Perak, the best way to get to Masjid Jamek Mosque is via KTM train. Alight at the Masjid Jamek stop and the mosque is right outside the station. While Masjid Jamek Mosque is open to the public daily (apart from Fridays), visitors can only enter the mosque after prayer times.
Robes and headscarves can be borrowed at the mosque’s entrance, but we highly encourage visitors to dress conservatively (sleeveless shirts, shorts or skimpy clothing are prohibited) and wear shoes you can easily remove before entering the prayer halls.
Masjid Jamek Mosque
Rate This Place: ( votes)
- Opening Hours: Saturday – Thursday 08:30 – 12:30 & 14:30 – 16:30
- Address: Off Jalan Tun Perak, Kuala Lumpur City Centre
You May Also Like